Hypnotherapy is not:
1. Power control: One cannot use hypnotherapy to control someone else’s mind. There is no way a client gives away all their secrets when under hypnosis. The one who is in control during hypnosis is the client. It is very easy to get into a state of hypnosis as it is to get out of it. You are always in control.
2. Using psychic power: Once someone asked me if using hypnosis they could find out things from another time. She had lost her journal and wanted to know where she had left it. There is no way hypnosis can help you with that. To solve mysteries or unsolvable cases, we need psychics to tap into this power, not a hypnotherapist.
3. Mind reading: The first reaction of most of my friends when I enrolled in the school of hypnotherapy was “now I need to be careful or you may find out all my secrets.” A hypnotherapist can never read anyone else’s thoughts using hypnosis. If there are any correct guesses it is just like a mother can tell when a child is lying, which is more intuition and not hypnosis.
4. Learning someone else’s secret: Like I mentioned before, using hypnosis does not allow anyone to sit in a room and find out what some one else is thinking through the practice of hypnosis. If you want to know a secret, go ask their best friend and good luck with it.
5. Predicting the future: We cannot tell what is going to happen to us or others using hypnosis. For that we need clairvoyants and psychic readers who can tap into the future for divinations and predictions. No syllabus of hypnotherapy includes “predicting the future”.
6. Stage acting: There are many shows on cruises and in Vegas and elsewhere where someone saw people getting on stage and under the direction of a hypnotist acted out to entertain the audience. It is true and this is called stage hypnosis. This is not what any hypnotherapist would do to their clients. This is merely what it is called: “stage hypnosis”.
7. Isn’t just about weight loss and smoking cessation: Whenever I tell anyone that I am clinical hypnotherapist, right away they ask me “do you help people lose weight?” or “can you help people stop smoking?”. Hypnosis does help people lose weight and stop smoking.
Weight gain and smoking has to do with unresolved emotions which impact lifestyles and eventually health. When we help with symptoms and not causes, the problem easily recurs.
Hypnotherapy does more than help you lose weight and stop smoking. It hands you back the key to your life. You become the front seat driver.
8. Something that is done to someone else: All hypnosis is self-hypnosis. The hypnotherapist is the facilitator who helps the client achieve the state of homeostasis so as to work through their prior conditioning and create new habits.
9. Is not mere hypnosis: Anyone can read a book or go to a weekend seminar and learn how to hypnotize, but what after that? Only a hypnotherapist can help you overcome your emotional blocks, change your habits and achieve your goals using hypnosis.